Preserving the Past for Emmaus’s Future

The mission of the Emmaus Historical Society is to collect, preserve and exhibit Emmaus artifacts, documents, histories, photographs and genealogy for displays and research and to offer educational programs and events throughout the year.

What We Do

At the Emmaus Historical Society and Museum, we know that our quaint Borough has physically changed since its founding in 1759. However, we believe that the spirit and fortitude of the original Moravian village is maintained through our Mission by keeping our history alive for current and future generations.

Our History

Emmaus’ rich history is captured in the photographs and artifacts we’ve collected over the years. We make vibrant history of Emmaus tangible, meaningful and relevant today. Read on to learn more about what we’ve uncovered.

Upcoming Events

Our programs immerse attendees in Emmaus’ past, present and future. We invite you to join in the fun! We offer a wide array of programs and events for everybody in the community to enjoy. At the Emmaus Historical Society, we tell stories to strengthen community connections, preserve narratives and celebrate the Borough of Emmaus.

Planning Your Visit

Take an adventure through the past by exploring the history, culture, and events of Emmaus. Visit the Emmaus Historical Society, enjoy our collection of artifacts and gain knowledge and understanding of the history of our town.

Support Our Growth

We rely on on memberships and donations to continue to collect and preserve historical artifacts, keep up our building and offer programs.

Meet the Board

Board President

Linda Boehmer is a longtime resident of Emmaus and currently serves on the Board of the Emmaus Remembrance Garden. She is serves on the Society’s Fundraising, Museum, Display, Newsletter and Special Events Committees. Linda also represents the Historical Society at the Heritage Keepers of the Greater Lehigh Valley.

Vice President – Andrew Kerstetter

Andrew grew up in Emmaus and his family extends back eleven generations to one of the founding fathers, Sebastian Knauss. His grandparents were two of the original founders of the Emmaus Historical Society. Andrew is the Museum Curator, Chair of the Collections, Display, Special Events Committees and serves on the Membership, Buildings & Grounds, Programs and Fundraising Committees as well. 

Treasurer – Nick DeOliviera

After purchasing an old Victorian house in Emmaus, Nick became involved with the Historical Society to see what he could learn about his new home. This connection led him not only to some fascinating local history, but also a warm welcoming from the best neighbors a person could possibly hope for. With a deep passion surrouning historical architecture and woodworking, Nick is the owner of Heritage Fine Construction and specialized in remodeling and restoration work within the area’s many historic properties. He believes that to create the best future outcomes, it is crucial for us to carefully study the past.

Recording Secretary –Mary Parsell

Mary grew up in Emmaus and her family goes back several generations. They were active in both the Moravian and UCC churches. While in high school she worked at the Emmaus Town Hall in a clerical position. She retired from Air Products after 34 years as an administrative assistant. She volunteered with Special Olympics for many years, has volunteered at Boutique at the Rink to support St. Luke’s Cancer Center and has been a volunteer at her local church.Linda is a longtime resident of Emmaus and very active in the community having served on various organizations’ Boards. Along with her husband, she was named 2018 Volunteer of the Year by the Emmaus Borough Council.  Linda serves on the Museum, Membership, Special Events and Newsletter Committees. 

Corresponding Secretary – Teri Sorg-McManamon

Teri’s passion for volunteerism and service learning traces back to her first days as a volunteer when she was eleven years old. With a degree in marketing and graduate certifications in nonprofit management, she continues to volunteer as a board member for several Emmaus and Lehigh Valley organizations. As an elected official for the Borough of Emmaus, Teri has worked, lived and volunteered here for 30 years and received the 2014 Emmaus Volunteer of the Year Award. Teri is passionate about our Borough and ensuring we retain its beauty and historic legacy through strong leadership and creative strategies among all of the organizations in Emmaus.

Director – Albert Wieand

Al is a life-long resident of Emmaus and his family’s involvement in the community goes back many generations as business owners and educators.  Albert serves on the Finance, Museum, Special Events and Buildings and Grounds Committees.


Director – Michael Henry

Michael’s family goes back ten generations in Emmaus to Sebastian Knauss. He is currently a Trustee at Emmaus Moravian Church and a member of the Board of Directors of the Wildlands Conservancy and Minsi Trails Council, BSA. Michael serves on the Emmaus Historical Society’s Finance and Museum Committees.


Director – Michelle Capehart

Michelle is a lifelong resident of the Emmaus area. She is currently an elementary school librarian after many years as a learning support teacher. Previously, she was a member of the Board of Christian Education at St. John’s UCC as well as a Sunday School teacher.

Director - Jeanne Harakal

Jeanne grew up in Emmaus, with family ties dating back to the original settlement. She joined the Society in 2008 and has been researching Emmaus history and genealogy ever since. She is currently Chair of the Newsletter Committee, as well as serving on the Program Committee, working in Community Outreach, the Marketing Committee and the Finance Committee. She is a Past President of the Emmaus Historical Society.

Parliamentarian – John J. Zettlemoyer Jr., Esq.

John was born and raised in Pennsylvania and is a longtime resident of Emmaus. He served in the US Navy during the Vietnam War. He partners with his daughter in their Emmaus law practice. He has served as both a Magisterial and District Judge in Emmaus and surrounding communities as well as on the Boards of several area non-profit organizations. John currently serves as a member of the Emmaus General Authority and is acting general counsel for the Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church District.

It takes a village.

 The Emmaus Historical Society was founded in 1992 and continues to grow and thrive through the generosity of our members, volunteers and supporters from the community and beyond. The Emmaus Historical Society collects objects, photographs, documents of all kinds, books and genealogical materials – anything that tells the story of Emmaus and its people. Please join us in attending one of our events or supporting us via a donation of time or money. We are extremely grateful for all who work to keep the history of Emmaus alive.

Planning Your Visit

Come visit us!

We are located at 218 Main Street Emmaus, PA 18049.

Our Museum is open every Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm as well as extended hours and days during Special Events. There is never any charge for admission. 

We are also happy to give tours during off hours – whether a solo visit or a group. Scouts, class reunions, elementary classes and families – all are welcome.
Please call the office at 610.966.6591 to schedule a visit.

Our knowledgeable staff of volunteers is always happy to share our Borough’s history through our dynamic exhibits and displays, which change seasonally and historically. Come often and bring visiting family and friends.

Join us in collecting historical artifacts from Emmaus to educate and inspire the people of today and tomorrow.

To understand Emmaus today, we must understand its past.

German Settlers began coming to the area known as “Maguntsche” (derived from the Lenni Lenape phrase “feeding place of the bears”) around 1730. They were fleeing war and seeking religious freedom.

The oldest building within Emmaus is the “Zuflucht Haus” or Shelter House. It was built around 1734 near an Indian trail along the slopes of South Mountain and was probably a safe haven and shelter for early travelers. During the next few years, log cabins were built in the area. In 1736, George Shoemaker took a warrant for two hundred acres of land near the present site of Emmaus High School. In 1738, John Henry Knauss settled near Furnace Dam. Sebastian Knauss built his home near the present day railroad underpass. Jacob Ehrenhardt erected his cabin on South Keystone Ave, near where his son, Jacob Jr., later Jacob Ehrenhardt, Sr.’s house where the missionary and patron, Count Zinzendorf, came to preach in late 1741.

In 1742, the first community structure was a small log church built on land donated by Jacob Ehrenhardt for this purpose at the site of what is now God’s Acre. Estimated at having been no larger than 20 by 40 feet, its location on the northeast corner of the old Moravian Cemetery is marked with a marble obelisk. In this simple log church, Lutherans, Reformed and members of other denominations worshipped. The remote church was served by visiting preachers from as far away as Philadelphia. Construction of the church and the beginnings of the cemetery predate by several years the formation of the Emmaus Moravian Church in 1747. In 1749, the log church was dismantled and reconstructed closer to the boarding school, built in 1746, a little to the rear and southeast of the Moravian Parsonage on Keystone Avenue.

In 1758-59, the community became a “Gemein Ort” translated as “common place” where those who lived in the community would live according to the customs and practices of the Moravians.

The first house officially built in the new village was at the now 160 Main Street.  It was built by Andreas Giering and occupied in 1759. The village was first called Salzburg (Salisbury). On April 3, 1761, Bishop Augustus Spangenberg renamed the village Emmaus, a biblical name, during a Moravian Love Feast.

The Revolutionary War brought new tribulations to the Emmaus community. Moravians were pacifists and such were harassed, fined and even imprisoned for refusal to fight.  However, twelve members did enlist in the Continental Army. All returned home to continue to serve in their community and are all buried in God’s Acre at the foot of Third Street.

The spelling of the village name changed to Emaus in 1830 and was incorporated under that name in 1859. The Railroad came through Emmaus in 1859, that same year. The Borough population was 277 and was comprised of about two hundred acres. The boundaries remained unchanged until 1903 with a population of 1,468.

Industry began to grow in the area as iron ore was mined and processed at the Donaldson Iron Company in 1850. By 1882, silk mills came into the area. Other products from Emmaus, past & present were/are cigars, shoes, pajamas, roofing paper, boilers, electrical products, industrial gases, books, grinding bails, handbags, and magazines.

The annexation of surrounding land began the growth toward a modern Emmaus. In 1938, petitions were circulated under the leadership of the Emaus Rotary Club to change the name again, and Emaus once again became Emmaus.

Today, Emmaus is more than thirty times the size of the original Moravian village with a population of over 11,000 people of many faiths.